Sunday, June 27, 2010

Tallinn, first set of pictures

Well now, I couldn't resist the temptation. I booked another 55 euro ferry + hotel trip for tomorrow. The fact is, a week ago, I only made it to the edge of Lasnamäe, not to the Soviet concrete jungle proper. This time, I'm going to get the Tallinn card and take a bus further into the area. Another area I'm wanting to see is Mustamäe, which is a similar concrete suburb, though mostly Estonian residents whereas the majority of the over 100 000 people who live in Lasnamäe are Russian, Ukrainian etc. I'm going to take my notebook, so I can at least tell myself to do some work on the ferry and in the evening in the hotel room. ;-) Besides, the 55 euro offer is only until the end of June. They're hitching up the prices in July! 

Lähettäjä Tallinn, Estonia 1

On the edge of Lasnamäe, by the Laagna tee road.

Here is the first set of pictures from Tallinn. These were taken last tuesday and are from a little round starting from the port, going along Tuukri street, then along the J. Poska street by the Kadrioru park. This street has large wooden villas and houses (I guess in the Soviet time they might also have been multi-apartment housing?), some newly restored, some being restored, and some completely abandoned and boarded up. I was particularly excited about the house with the stone decorations by the front steps. Clearly  it was once a beautiful building. Finally, the round ends to the location in the picture above. All the pictures are Google maps tagged. 

Direct link to slideshow: CLICK.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Great photos on the slideshow, Maria. I love the ones of the old houes, especially that wooden one. I can well see the appeal of Tallinn for you. Koos would love to go there too for the soviet hisotry.

ginab said...

oh, I will live in the abandon villa on Poska Street ANY DAY.

bleak, though. you capture this.

xo

Anne-Marie said...

Loved the first villa in your slideshow, but yes, bleak, as Gina says. There is something quite severe about the architecture, perhaps it's all the concrete.

xx
AM