Friday, July 02, 2010

Modern fairytale illustrations

I've added many more pics to my photographic journey of Lasnamäe:

LINK: PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY

A few pictures here.



Imagine driving along Laagna tee here in a grey, cloudy, dark day. These buildings looming just above might not be a very reassuring sight. But they also made me think of modern illustrations to fairytales. I'm thinking of those tales that feature giants or stone trolls (or dragons too?) that you have to pass very quietly so that they don't wake up. Another element I recall is unpassable guardians of gates: they appear to be statues but when you try to pass, they come alive. I think such creatures are guarding Sauron's gate in Tolkien.

And now, clash of the titans. It looks like a battle is about to commence here. These two giants are clearly facing off each other. Will one of them give in? Well, this is actually some of that Transformers stuff more than fairytale. Know those robot mechanic toy thingies that can change form, like from a robot to a car or a plane?


4 comments:

Vallypee said...

LOL, Maria, I like your imagery here...clash of the titans it is, and even I can get into this fairy tale spirit, not that I'd ever have thought of apartment blocks in such terms before...another great set of commie photos ;)

E.L. Wisty said...

That's the funny thing about these commie blocks. You don't get trains of thought with the representatives of social realism in the ol' west :)

grace said...

I like the comparison aswell. the pictures of this city, looks like a quiet one. Not very populated?

E.L. Wisty said...

No, it's over 100 000 people. Was just work hours when I was there so people would've been at work.