Friday, January 02, 2009

Welcome 2009

Here we go with a new patch of pictures. These are from the same day as the previous instalment, of Regent's Canal and the Shoreditch gasworks.

I'm still at my parents' place, up here in the north (600 km from Helsinki). I've a train ticket back to Helsinki booked for sunday. I've had a couple of very busy but enjoyable days as my brother with his family arrived for two nights. They departed earlier today.

Now it has got very cold indeed, -15 C. Really makes me happy that Finnish houses are sturdily built and well insulated, not to mention with good heating. The cold is supposed to continue tomorrow so I will try to get out and capture some of the cold winter mood. There's a particular stillness and kind of a blue atmosphere out there when it's this cold. But there's also something more to it, something you can't capture with a camera, at least it seems so to me. It's as if there's a hum in the air, not exactly audible but more... something you feel. A hum of stillness.

8 comments:

Vallypee said...

Oh Maria, these are stunning! The light and the shapes of the old gasometers (I think) are just perfect. What a special set. Love them!

It's not so cold here today, but they say it's dropping again. Well, we'll see. Everything is still frozen over, but we had some rain this morning, and it's been cloudy all day. I think I prefer the cold and the sun!

Koos F said...

Welcome to my patch, Maria. If you were someone else I might try to shoo you away.
Anyway, the good old London gasworks- and canal areas aren't mine in the first place.
We all 'ownn' them and they are there for all of us to be discovered.

I admire the way you take pictures of these scenes.
I hope I don't sound pretentious when I say "welcome to the club".

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Val,

Yes, the sun and the coldness can create extraordinary atmosphere. Sometimes, with temperatures well below zero, everything frozen still, and then the sun sparkling on the frost... It's such a beautiful vision.

Hi Koos,

On the contrary, I am happy to join the club - of photography enthusiasts with excellent tastes in photography subjects. ;-)

Chris Capp said...

Hello Maria,

I've enjoyed your many photos here -- I particularly like the black & white shots from London. Very atmospheric and evocative. Your description of the cold is so sharp that I am feeling it, even here in fairly warm Los Angeles!

All the best for a 2009 filled with prosperity of all kinds!

- Chris

Dan L. said...

E.L. Wisty/ Maria:

Stunning photos...really, they are very cool. I enjoy visiting your website so much!

-Dan L.

grace said...

it is good reflection on the pic.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Chris,

I'm a bit of a fan of b&w photography I must say. It sometimes creates immensely strong atmosphere. Though is to be used sparingly: not everything works in black and white. All the best for 2009 to you!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for dropping by! Hopefully 2009 will bring you good and wonderful things!

Hi Grace,

Thanks for checking out the pics!

Lucy said...

Hi Maria -- I thoroughly enjoy taking in new photos of yours.

I especially like the building reflected in the canal one. I like the range of values from very very dark (building) to very very light (surface water), and then in-between: leaves and shadows. I even think the piece of rubbish adds something to the picture.

I know what you mean about winter. I love the stillness of snow, myself. I love how it makes everything clean (for a while) and QUIET. For miles around.

I actually often feel sad when winter starts dying down and signs of spring appear. I've never been able to understand why I feel this way.

Glad you enjoyed your Christmas with your folks! Sounds cozy. I guess you got to see your nephews then, too.

Ours was quiet, but very nice.