Saturday, March 07, 2009

Loneliness

This little series which I called Loneliness is really an example of the occasion creating the subject and the story: I happened to go to this particular place, and the man happened to be there. I'm particularly happy with the way this set turned out. This is one of the train stations in the local train network, really a depressing place with all the concrete. The man might not be lonely at all, of course. He might have a wide circle of friends. However, I saw he also had a booze bottle with him, so seeing him alone in a train station, smoking and swigging from a bottle in early friday afternoon made me think he is one of the lonely men in cities all over Europe: men who have no family and no home, who spend their nights in lodging houses, and possibly have an alcohol problem. The oppressive concrete constructs and the greyscale add to the feel of loneliness. A depressing vision I'm sure, but I don't think photography should be only about pretty and cheerful things.




8 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
I've always been a big fan of black and white photography. The contrasts are always sharper, and when your subject is bleak, it just jumps out at you.

I especially love the middle one, with the escalator lines on the diagonal against the pillars. Just beautiful work, my dear.

xx
AM

grace said...

So right Maria. Photography and Art is not always about beauty. It comes in many ways.
I too love the black and white, seems to tell a different story, goes along with your post.

Yes, you are lucky in Europe, you have terrific transportation. Alot of cities in the US do to, but unfortunately, not where I am !!

Vallypee said...

Worda are not enough. Lovely work, Maria...and yes there is a lonely quality about them. I think the B&W adds to that remote feeling..colour gives things warmth and life, and black and white underscores a certain remoteness while throwing focus on the shapes and lines. Well done!

Lucy said...

Hi Maria,

How's spring shaping up in Finland? Are you feeling it in the air yet? We had a semi-warm day today with some sunshine (which I've sorely lacked).

I like your third picture best, I think, because you can see the subject's face and expression somewhat. But I agree with Anne Marie's thoughts on the composition of the second one. Very nice!

Happy Spring (soon)!

- Lucy.

Vallypee said...

I'm curious about the two ridged things that run down the side of the stairs, Maria. Are they for bicycles? One thing I forgot to mention in my last comment was that I wonder why it is that stations always attract these sad souls. Whether he is lonely or not (but I think you are right, he looks it), the fact that he is there with his bottle and smokes is something he has in common with other lonely souls all over the world....they hang out in stations. I've never really understood the appeal!

E.L. Wisty said...

Anne-Marie,

Thank you! It's true that black and white by kind of condensing and eliminating the inessential, leaves out and emphasises the essence; it doesn't work in all cases but in situations, like here in these pictures, it certainly does.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Grace,

Yes, I think art would lose its power if it depicted only pretty and nice things. After all, life is not only about those things.

Hi Lucy

Spring is shaping up slowly but surely. There have been days when you REALLY see it: such a bright sun light you only get in the spring. And the birds are out in force... Now it's cloudy and wet slosh (the snow turning into -). But I guess that's part of spring too.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Vally,

Yeah, they must be for bikes, as many people transport the bikes on the local trains. That and maybe trolley luggage.

I've been wondering about train stations too. Is it the anonymity created by their transient nature? Train stations are not places where people stay but places of moving on and continuing to other places. Or do the crowds in train stations create the illusion of less loneliness to the lonely souls?