Sunday, March 01, 2009

Only the open sea


The vast openness of the sea is sometimes overwhelming. Me, I usually like space. I'm used to it in Finland where there is plenty of it, not just on the sea. I'll admit, though, that I edited out one other figure close to the horizon to get the desired effect. There were lots of people on the ice and I probably should've waited for hours to have just one person there exactly like this!

Taken yesterday on Aurinkolahti ("Sun Bay"), Vuosaari, at the eastern end of Helsinki (about 14 kilometers from the city centre). I didn't go on the ice myself. It's supposed to be thick enough to be safe now, but I was all the same a bit cautious because I don't have any equipment to save myself if I end up in peril on the ice.

2 comments:

grace said...

nah not a good idea to get out on the ice. such a contrast from your current post of the ocean, and mine. like it.

Vallypee said...

Lovely Maria. We've had our ice for the year now, and are glad it's over, but I still like to look at it, and your photo is stunning.