Sunday, September 06, 2009

Early autumn light


Not a bad day today, not a bad day at all. I went to Vuosaari, on the eastern shores of Helsinki. I managed to find enough chantarelles for dinner. Then I had coffee and pancakes with whipped cream and strawberry jam in Cafe Kampela (flounder) by the harbour. Coming back home, I had a hot bath, throwing in the water some of the bath pearls my sister gave me. In the end I forgot to eat the mushrooms for dinner but did prepare them later. Fried in butter until all the liquid evaporated, a bit of herbal salt. Ate on toasted rye bread. Heavenly!

8 comments:

grace said...

That sounds a perfect day. And the eats delicious. Ever try the chantarelles with a little bit of scallions with the butter? not too much, just to give it a little extra flavour.

E.L. Wisty said...

Oh haven't tried that. Thanks for the tip, Grace!

Vallypee said...

Sounds like my kind of day Maria! The chanterelles sound divine, but what are scallions?

The photo is just right too...Oh those lengthening shadows. Autumn is coming! I love the season but wish it would go back to summer afterwards again ;)

E.L. Wisty said...

I had to check that one too. Green onion, reveals wikipedia. :-)

I have to agree with you. I love the early autumn, when it's still warm and sunny and the colours come out. But I DON'T like where it heads to!

grace said...

oh sorry...they are small, with not too much over powering flavour.

You will be pleased with combo with the mushrooms. Olive oil works well too if you want to try instead of butter. I always use light olive oil.

E.L. Wisty said...

It's true, the ordinary onions tend to be too strong and drown the taste of the mushrooms - which is what you DON'T want with chantarelles.

Olive oil is what I normally use, yep...

Anne-Marie said...

I got hungry reading your blog entry. Glad you had a great day out.

I love autumn too, although we had temperatures around 30C this weekend, so I am not prepared to wave summer away just yet.

xx
AM

grace said...

you are making long for mushroom season Maria. Still 3 or so months away!!