Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Gentle beauty

Here's an image of delicate beauty. This is from the National Gardens in Athens.

My trip to Athens took a slight negative turn towards the end: my wallet was stolen last thursday; the thief got two credit cards and some cash. The old story: a rush hour crowded bus and a moment of carelessness on my part. I was alright money-wise though, since my brother sent some money via Western Union. It's easy enough to get new credit cards, just takes some time to wait. It is very annoying though. Despite this my trip was very successful: the Blegen Library is absolutely brilliant and I got lots of work done; I saw quite a lot of things; and the hostel of the Finnish Institute is really homely and comfortable. In the end, though, I must admit that I don't like modern Athens very much, one of the problems being the pollution. For those travelling to Greece I might actually recommend primarily staying somewhere outside of Athens and making day trips to the city for the sights.

Now that I'm home I'm enjoying the clean air, even though it is cold. However, I was not spared from further misfortune - one that I can only blame myself for: I was out there by the pier earlier today, photographing the magnificent moon. Standing just by the water, I began to change lenses, mittens in hands (because it was cold). As I was doing that, I thought to myself: "Better be careful so the lens doesn't fall into the water." And just then, the lens I was detaching from the camera slipped from my hands and plop fell into the murky depths. At least it was just the cheap kit lens which wasn't very good. But d'oh indeed. Had I but stood my back towards the water, the lens would have rolled away from it. Well, then again, in that case the lens might rolled into the street and been driven over by a car.

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Sorry that your trip ended so poorly.

At least you managed to get some money from your brother, but it is a pain to replace lost credit cards. I dropped my wallet in Amsterdam many years ago- my own foolishness, and it annoyed me to no end to get everything put back in order.

Very pretty picture, though. Glad to read you're safely home.

xx
AM

Hans said...

Yeah, as they say: You never have one accident without another!

I was approached by Luottokunta of Finland a while ago, telling me that my credit card information was stolen abroad! The thing is that I have not been travelling for many years and I´ve made only one internet transaction recently with that card. I bought a lens for our Nikon DSLR from Camerabox in the UK using that card.
Had to kill my card and wait one week for a new. Slightly later Ingela accidentally swept one of the lenses off a table and made it bouncing around the floor... It seems to be working OK though. Fired some test shots and they looked OK. Phew!
Great closeup picture. I hope it was't taken with the lens that dropped into the sea because if so, it wasn't that bad a lens at all :)

E.L. Wisty said...

Huh, Hans! I wonder if the info had really been stolen or was there a suspicion of it? If it had, then it was really crappy luck for that to happen after just one online purchase! Of course, it's best be too careful with these things.

You're right though, accidents seldom come alone. Good to hear that your lens wasn't damaged.

Hans said...

Yeah,
They could not really tell. They had just got the information from Visa Intl. telling them that my card info has gotten into wrong hands abroad.
There were some news in the papers some weeks ago that a lot of Finnish cards were cracked in Spain through some hacker attack or similar.
I have not visited Spain since 2003 so it cannot have been cracked there :) The only thing is that transaction with Camerabox but that is also checked and seems to have worked ok using a http:// connection where the certificates and encryption was OK in both ends.
funny.... NOT!