Friday, November 06, 2009


Just a randomly chosen picture. This dog was definitely seeing to his siesta. This was on the walkway that goes around the Acropolis and is for a good section barred from cars. I was wondering because I kept seeing lots of dogs running around free, all with tagged collars. I don't think Athenian owners would let their pets run free in the city, as that would be too dangerous, so I'm pretty sure the authorities have collared and tagged the stray dogs to be able to monitor them.

I'm a bit under the weather unfortunately. Yesterday I had a fever of 38 C. After resting for most of yesterday - reading Minister Jim Hacker's diaries from Yes, Minister - and after a good night's sleep the fever was gone in the morning, but I'll have to see what happens today. I'm very annoyed about the timing because just on wednesday I bought a ticket for a concert which would be this evening. Only 10 euros so financially not a great loss, but I'm a big fan of the artist, a Finnish singer-songwriter called Jarkko Martikainen who is one of the best lyricists in the country. Fingers crossed that I'll feel well enough to go in the evening.

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
I hope you'll make it to your show tonight.

How interesting that the stray dogs are tagged there. I have a very vivid memory of being in Santiago, Chile, where the wild dogs outnumbered the human population by about 5 to 1. It was quite the sight seeing that many dogs just loose everywhere. The one in your picture looks like a very healthy, well kept retriever, whereas the Chilean ones were quite mangy for the most part.

The word verification is : impop, so that's a good concert omen.

xx
AM

grace said...

I hope that you feel good enough to make your concert. I can sense you would be let down if you missed it.
This is your second dog picture from Athens. Both of them look very healthy and content. Especially this guy, just taking in some afternoon sun. I am guessing someone or somewhere they are getting fed and have safe places to sleep? I hope so anyway.

feel better.

Vallypee said...

Aww, lovely gentle giant! Good to know they are being monitored but not disposed of.

I also hope you made it to your concert Maria, but take care of yourself first, won't you?