Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Anticipation

I have feelings of anticipation, to put it mildly. They are going to decide about the research grants I applied for today, so I'm waiting to see if they're going to put up the info on their website soon. It's a Finnish foundation connected to the Kone company, which is one of the leading businesses in the world in the field of elevators and escalators - so, one of those foundations started by industry magnates who wanted to become patrons of culture. I have no idea of my chances, but last year they approved 19% of the applications, which is pretty good for foundations awarding grants. It would be good because it's a bit over 25 000 euros for 12 months. If I don't get it I will have to apply for the unemployment money at least for some time, while I apply for other things. There's one grant application that's still open, but they don't decide on it until February. The unemployment money isn't much financially, but it's not too bad for a limited time, and I also have a small amount of savings. I just hate applying for such things, with all the millions of appendices you have to have with the application etc. Oh well...

Otherwise things are fairly ordinary. It is November. It rains and rains and rains and is cloudy every day. I have got some work done on the papers I'm working on. At least there are things to celebrate: last sunday was my younger nephew's first gig with the choir he's in - it's the small children's music play school (or whatever you could call it in English) of Cantores Minores, which is a famous boys' choir here; their Christmas concerts are sold out well in advance each year, etc. My nephew's choir performed at a children's church service for the first Advent. They sang three songs connected to the Advent theme and did very well. An immensely adorable sight too, about ten little boys in their best clothes, white shirts, hair neatly combed etc. This coming weekend is my younger nephew's birthday - he'll reach the proud age of 5.

To end, here is a hitherto unreleased and unseen U2 video that was discovered in the vaults not too long ago:



And this particular thing works on so many levels, and I'm sure especially the ladies can relate to it:



I completely adore these two ladies.

No comments: