Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Oops!

I am very sorry to have neglected my blog for such a long time! I blame Facebook but really it's just an excuse.

I've had a very lovely, quiet, traditional Christmas time visiting my parents up north. Christmas Eve (the big celebration takes place on the Eve rather than the Day in Finland) was traditional: sauna, Christmas dinner, presents, mass in the evening. I felt really elevated by the mass: the lights, the joyful hymns of praise (like 'Oh Come All Ye Faithful' by John Francis Wade - hymn 27 in Finland) and how they sounded with the organ. My only complaint is that people did not sing loudly enough. With that sort of joyful songs, they should sing their heart out and sing out loud if they come to the church!

Otherwise during the holidays I've done a bit of writing work and watched French & Saunders and Absolutely Fabulous; I've got the box set of the complete series of both (though sadly they don't include the specials) and I'm such a huge fan. Absolutely Fabulous is, apart from making me laugh more than just about anything, one of the most psychologically perceptive comedy shows I've seen. And French & Saunders... well, it's just pure brilliance.

It has been really cold on most days until, minus 27 Celsius at lowest, but I have done some forays outdoors, dressed in several layers of cotton, wool, skiing overalls and mittens - once to take an oxygen trip in the form of wading around the field through the snow at a brisk pace (a real power exercise that!); and once to take some pictures. Temperatures of below minus 20 C are funny in that only then does it begin to look like everything is frozen solid and standing still out there. It doesn't feel like that when it's only -15 C or so. Another special thing about the very very very cold temperatures is that they often create an extraordinarily beautiful blue, sleep-like atmosphere. Here's a picture - this one taken through the window.


I'm travelling back home to Helsinki on wednesday. I'll be trying to go see the city's New Year things on New Year's Eve although if it's too cold I suppose I might just watch it all on telly.

Here's hoping everyone will have a good 2010!

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
so glad you had a great Xmas. I loved reading that a sauna is part of your traditions, although if it's -27 C, you might want one!

All the best to you in 2010 as well. We're here in Atlanta visiting my in-laws and heading back in a few days for the new year celebrations in Toronto.

xx
AM

bookworm said...

Hello Maria,

wishing you all the best, too for the comming New Year.
Great to hear, you had a good time with your parents.
This Christmas we stood all together at my home. We had a peacful evening.

Love Stefan

PS. I love your pic.

grace said...

I wish you a very Happy New Year Maria, I hope it brings good things to you. xo