Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A winter day is white, blue and silent

It really is. I'm happy because proper winter has arrived. It has snowed and the temperature fell to minus 10 degrees celsius. A short, brisk walk in the cold air (properly, warmly dressed of course) is incredibly invigorating. Today I really enjoyed the nibbling of the cold on the cheeks, the dry sound of the -10 C snow under the heels and even the familiaring stinging, tingling sensation when your fingers get a bit cold (and no, I didn't go barehand, I'm not a fool - I had thick mittens on my hands).

Here is an image of melancholy beauty: fallen, brown maple leaves covered by frost.


4 comments:

grace said...

Oh Yes! Winter has found you! That picture looks coooold. Maple leaves with confectioners sugar. ;)

Vallypee said...

Winter has found us too Maria. Even here, we've had -9 degrees overnight and it has stayed -2 during the day. I love your photo...really frosting instead of just sugar ;-)

Anne-Marie said...

Your picture looks rather edible. :)

We are hovering around -3 C, and it has been very mild so far for a Canadian winter. Glad that you're happy to get the right season.

xx
AM

ginab said...

brrr! lovely image says it all.

It's cold here, too; 26 december. We share snow, I am sure. The storm intended for Christmas eve has hit today. Perfect for skiers, fluffy. Cold though. Beabs lifted a paw and I felt terrible. She only went for a tinkle, but still...she won't wear boots!

-ginab