Monday, January 25, 2010

Oops again!

I really don't know where time always goes! I meant to update my blog earlier but somehow time passed... Let's see, what in terms of news.

I went to the unemployment office again after my research grant term officially ended on the 14th of this month. In December they had decided that I am not entitled to receive unemployment money because I was still "self-employed" with the research grant, but now they changed their decision, so I was able to fill the application form for the unemployment benefit and send it off. Hopefully I won't have to stay on it for a long time; it's just so troublesome, having to submit accounts every four weeks: you have to fill a list and mark on every day whether you have been unemployed, ill, employed full time, employed part time. You can't even say "unemployed every day for the past four weeks, you have to fill in every day separately. There are a few research grants open for application in February, but I also decided to apply for a position as museum guide at the Helsinki city museum. I don't have work experience of the field one month's summer job 13-14 years ago notwithstanding. As for their other requirement, interest in history, I guess I can tick the check box fairly confidently on that, having gone all the way to the doctorate. We'll see. It would be something I could imagine doing, because I'm genuinely interested in the local history of Helsinki. Also, as the world goes, I'm not sure it's wise for a humanities person to have all the eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I have been doing writing work on articles. I've three texts that are mostly. One I'm going to pass on for review to the volume that's going to be compiled of the papers at the conference I went to last August. The other two I'm going to try for some journals. Gotta have academic merits, see. Sometimes there are really good days with the writing, like on thursday I really enjoyed it. The inspiration and the ideas were there. But often it's something entirely different. I might start on the computer and suddenly feel immensely sleepy even though I had been completely alert the moment before. Or I might sit at the computer and no idea would come to my head. It's funny really how something being work can change things, even if that something is basically interesting.

Still cold, minus 15 celsius or so. The birch trees in their dress of white frost are so beautiful, but really I'm getting bored with the cold. I wish it was warmer already.

This is from one magical day last November. The mist and the light were something I have never seen before.

And a snow picture - or rather snow on the ice on the bay. Light here as well. I like this shot, the minimalism of the small pawn prints and the stick and its shadow. One cool thing about it being so cold is that the ice is now thick enough to walk on. I can walk to the islands close by. The closest one is just 50-100 meters away across the ice. Kind of funny: in the summer there's a regular boat line going to the island and that costs 4 euros for two ways. That's more than a regional ticket for the public transportation that's valid for all of Helsinki and the neighbouring cities of Vantaa and Espoo!

And finally, if someone would like to hear a great song and watch a really cool video, check out this one: Watching the Planets by The Flaming Lips.

It is something quite different. Quite weird - though from another perspective not at all weird, considering it's The Flaming Lips. I love it, both the song and the video. It was shot in Portland, Oregon. Americans have a reputation of being prudish about things like nudity. Clearly they are not in Portland. I think I'd like to visit.

9 comments:

grace said...

This is not unusual for Oregon, a very liberal state. Lots of hippies there too.
I hope the job quest works out for you, unemplyment is a pain over here too, I was on it once in my early 20's, the forms ugh.

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
good luck on the employment front- I know it can be quite frustrating, especially all the paperwork hoops you need to go through.

Your snowscape is lovely- the paw print are perfect on that pristine blanket of white.

xx
AM

Lucy said...

oh my goodness! That mist picture is simply MAGICAL.

When's the book coming out, Maria?!!

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, so sorry it's been so long since I visited. My work has just been hectic lately. Awful. Ayhow, good luck with the job huntung, I've often thought it would be nice ti be a guide too. Have you heard about that yet? Love the photos. I also like the minimalist feel. Till soon.

Unknown said...

Hey Rachel's Blog has been wiped out...with no goodbye? Im wondering what you know as you post daily//so I thought you would know how to keep in touch...
Thanks for any info you have..
SallyCakes...aka Bons

E.L. Wisty said...

Hey SallyCakes,

She did post on friday actually:

Said that she'd be going to France for a week to do some thinking about her creative projects and whether she should end the website - sounded like she didn't find continuing with the website purposeful anymore. In the evening of the same day she posted that she'd decided to close down the site; thanked everyone and wished all well, and said that the site would close a short while later.

Unknown said...

Oh...I missed the last post...thank you for sharing that with me...Is everyone going to try and stay in touch in another area?

And I'm sorry I didnt comment earlier on your photos...they are captivating...

E.L. Wisty said...

I'm not sure about using another area. I don't personally have such plans but you might want to ask some of the others who were active on Rachel's?

wind-up-man said...

I really enjoy your photographs,keep up the good work.Take care, Danny