Saturday, August 14, 2010

So It Was Friday the 13th...

So my microwave blew up yesterday. Really did. There was lots of smoke but no flames. I don't REALLY believe that Friday the 13th is a bad luck day but I had to laugh about the timing. The microwave was ancient in microwave standards, had been bought in the 90s so clear its time had come.

This weekend I'm enjoying my annual tradition, the Flow Festival. Yesterday was the first day, two more days to come. I guess I'll be going there after 2 pm when they open the gates. I hope the weather forecast is right that it'll clear up. Rain in an open-air festival is a bit of a drag. Yesterday I caught a couple of good acts, a rather fabulous electro pop duo called Villa Nah and an artist called Sami Kukka, whose music is experimental folk-blues. Some of the other artists, like the Air from France, were to my ears very cool but not authentically moving. Today should be better. I'm particularly looking forward to Owen Pallett and Junip. M.I.A may be very interesting too.

I still have to go on about the new Sherlock. I know it's only a TV show but I love it. Benedict Cumberbatch's performance is perfect. Not that awards matter but I'll be very surprised if they don't give him a BAFTA for that. The third episode was the best of the lot.  Fantastic all through, but great details like the Minsk scene and the scene where Sherlock's bored and shoots at the wall and finally throws himself in the sofa, expecting John to stick around as audience to his dramatic sulking. I don't think I'd like a flatmate who think it's a good idea to keep a severed head in the fridge. :-)

John: "A severed head!"
Sherlock: "Just tea for me thanks."
John: "No, there's a head in the fridge!"
Sherlock: "Yes."
John: "A bloody head!"
Sherlock: "Where else was I supposed to put it? You don't mind do you? I got it at Bart's morgue. I'm measuring the coagulation of saliva after death..."

1 comment:

grace said...

that is quirky timing for your microwave. I found yesterday to be a really good day :). So I put aside the superstitions.
Enjoy the music festival, hopefully not too much rain.