Sunday, September 26, 2010

Autumn

No nature in sight in this picture, in fact about as far from nature as could be: a shabby, weather-beaten table outside a shabby-looking grill (closed at the time) at a street surrounded by nothing but concrete. Well, there were a few trees struggling to get by amidst the concrete. But the colours fit the season. I find weather-beaten wood surface beautiful, and was somehow fascinated by that discarded plastic cup with the drop of liquid. Probably Coke - or Pepsi, as the grill had Pepsi logos. You CAN find beauty in unexpected places.

Yesterday was such an amazing autumn day: +17 C and sunny - and it's nearly October! I went to the woods again to pick trumpet chanterelles. I can't help going to the nearby woods every chance I get, I admit it's a bit of an addiction. It's the joy of finding - and trumpet chanterelles are brown in colour so they disguise themselves well. But it's also the colours and the  crisp fall fragrance. I don't know where it comes from. Is it the fallen leaves? The peat moss? The carpet of pine and fir tree needles? The soil itself? All of it? Anyhow, I love it. It's a fragrance that's only there in the autumn.

4 comments:

grace said...

oh yes, the picture captures the colours of Autumn. Enjoy the Trumpets, our's won't be in season for a couple of more months. wonderful to eat 'off the land'.

Vallypee said...

There is beauty in all types of dessication and dilapidation, Maria. You have shown us that often. I so agree about the scents and colours of autumn. I think has to do with he decaying process of the leaves, but it's a very special scent indeed.

Enjoy your chanterelles! They're free and they're fresh.

Anne-Marie said...

I love this season too- it is visually beautiful, and things smell so fresh somehow.

Enjoy your mushrooms!

xx
AM

ginab said...

my gosh you have an eye. You and my cousin are so similar in what you capture: textures and colours above all else. Honestly.

I love the sip of wine and that it matches the table top, which has so much texture to it I would not begin to imagine nature is not all around this space. Would make a lovely cd cover. I can hear an A on a guitar or take me down to a D minor.