Sunday, September 05, 2010

Things done

These two pictures rather finely illustrate what I've been doing lately.

There's this one spot in one of the forest areas here in Helsinki where I keep finding porcini - provided that it rains a bit here and there. Not a huge amount at one go but enough for a couple of meals and to put one package in the freezer. Now porcini are the best kind of mushrooms there are. Delicious in pasta sauce and risotto, or just fried in a pan and eaten on toast. The Italians buy any amount. They know their food, the Italians. They're not getting any of mine though.

My birthday was on friday. As I've now things to do (couple of applications, article work), I didn't have the energy to go anywhere or arrange anything. I just bought a bottle of fine red (a South-African one, Rust en Vrede Estate Cabernet 2004) and enjoyed it with brie, crackers and pears. On saturday, however, we had a family dinner at a lovely restaurant not far from where I live, located in a manor park, in the old steward's house: myself, my father, sister, brother, sister-in-law and younger nephew (the elder didn't feel like coming). Had a lovely time, in a lovely setting, and the food was delicious (I had roast lamb and American mud cake with vanilla ice cream). My nephew gave me a lovely birthday card, pictured above. Notice the artist's signature, "KUUTTI 2010". Rather a fine work, I must say.

4 comments:

ginab said...

Those older nephews....I love Kuutti's swing set!!!

The pears and brie and wine sound lovely, but your family at a manor park restaurant!

The mushrooms look divine. You could sell some and earn baby earn.

Best to you on your apps and on your article. You are so young, scholar. ;-) Maybe there's a grant for young scholars.... ;-)

best,

Gina

grace said...

Maria, those bucket of mushrooms look delicious. I love wild mushrooms, alone fried in a pan is my fav, little oil, little white wine, maybe some onion.
I love the drawing your nephew made for your birthday, very creative. And very special for your B-day.
Now, I guess I have to go get a snack, your post of delectables have made me hungry!

Vallypee said...

Ah Maria, the Italians know a lot about many things, some good and others not so, but I guess porcini is one that is.

I love the card, and the fact you had a great day with your family, AND the fact that the wine you chose was South African!

Anne-Marie said...

Porcini mushrooms were among the myriad of reasons I fell in love with Italy. With cheeses, on a pizza- heaven.

Belated happy birthday to you- I think your nephew's card is very cool.

xx
AM