Saturday, October 16, 2010

Application fun

I'm not kidding or being ironic, I actually enjoyed writing an application just now.

I spotted a work ad for exhibition guides in the museum of modern art of the neighbouring town. I've visited it quite a few times and like the place, plus I'm genuinely interested in modern art, especially artists who use photography and video in their work. So, I decided to send an application.

Their requirements were an art history or art education degree or experience of similar jobs. I don't have a formal degree like that as my field was general history (although crossed paths with art history occasionally during my studies) but I actually have some work experience from a summer job, albeit a long time ago. Obviously, I emphasized my interest in art and naturally made clear my photographic ambitions, including the few sold and published photos. Gave me a chance to mention my new photo site, so that turned out to be useful very soon!

Would be a fun job to have - and ideal time-wise: it's part time, so it would leave time for research work. Money-wise not necessarily something that makes you rich but far better than the unemployment money still.

I certainly put modern technology to full use with this application: I first wrote it in my head yesterday and today (ok, technically my head isn't modern technology since I've had it for 34 years); then typed it down on my phone while out on town (for those with iPhone, go for AwesomeNote); just now I copied it to Open Office, wrote also the CV, saved both in pdf and sent off in email (they expected applications via email only).

Grrr, if only my cold got better soon. I've had it for the past week. No fever but a sniffle and a hell of a cough, with the voice still down. I was so enjoying the swimming which I took up again only last weekend.

3 comments:

grace said...

good luck with the application Maria. The job sounds very fitting for you. I ll keep my fingers crossed. (How could they say no with all that preparation for the application!) And you are qualified. I hope that cough gets better for you, nothing worse than a persistant cough, becomes annoying afterwhile.

ginab said...

And I hope you embedded your new foto site. How cool. they would be silly not to hire you.

silly.

You have a PhD which I think is what really matters. And your specialization of the history, culture, civilization and so on, spans art. I have every hope for you. How wonderful it would be.

Wonderful.

Yes. (please!).

xo gina & bea bea

Vallypee said...

I agree with Gina, Maria. You sound like the ideal candidate: you have a PhD, your subject is history, so shows a fascination with the past, AND you are demonstrably interested in art as is manifested in your photos and website. They couldn't ask for more!

As for the technology, it certainly makes things so much easier these days, doesn't it?