Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Fire and the Rose

With the drawing of this Love and the voice of this Calling

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Through the unknown remembered gate
When the last of earth left to discover
Is that which was the beginning;
At the source of the longest river
The voice of the hidden waterfall
And the children in the apple-tree
Not known, because not looked for
But heard, half-heard, in the stillness
Between two waves of the sea.
Quick now, here, now, always -
A condition of complete simplicity
(Costing not less than everything)
And all shall be well and
All manner of thing shall be well
When the tongues of flames are in-folded
Into the crowned knot of fire
And the fire and the rose are one.

This is the end of Little Gidding, the fourth and final poem of T.S. Eliot's Four Quartets. I had not read T.S. Eliot before, something that may be thought strange - or then not. He is of course one of the most influential figures in 20th century literature, but on the other hand, while school students in the English-speaking world would be likely to have some of the English literature greats, including Eliot, in their English classes, in Finnish schools the emphasis is on native writers (as in the German-speaking world on German authors, in France on French authors and so on). But I picked up Four Quartets at the library some time ago, motivated by hearing a radio adaptation of the Michael Hastings play Tom and Viv, about T.S. Eliot and his first wife Vivienne Haigh-Wood (the radio play itself I listened to out of a very shallow motivation: because it had Benedict Cumberbatch as Eliot - the man's got a voice you know). I went to the library to get any T.S. Eliot in original language and happened to find Four Quartets.

Now that I have read it, I find I HAVE to read T.S. Eliot and especially the Four Quartets. His poetry is not easy, but I feel I have to read it. Not because of his position in 20th century literature, but because of a kind of a hunger for the words. I don't necessarily need to read studies which explain all the references or which offer theories and explanations. More I want to read again and again,  all in one or one poem or part of a poem at a time, to marvel at and follow the language and find my own meaning in the poems - or perhaps not, never entirely. Perhaps in part they will remain a mystery to be marveled and wondered about. Who knows, and I'm not sure it matters. I put in an order for an edition of Four Quartets to have it at hand whenever I want, and I suspect it will be something I will return to again and again. Never have I been more happy about how good my English is.

MERRY CHRISTMAS OR HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

10 comments:

grace said...

I am always amazed how beautiful some can write, the words but together brilliantly.
I guess from reading you here, I always assumed your English was terrific. :)

Have a Merry Christmas Maria!

ginab said...

his poetry isn't easy, you are most correct, but I think you can follow the language (especially lines of poetry) as in the way of listening to music (without holding an instrument).

Merry Christmas

Hans said...

Merry Christmas Maria and I hope it will not get any colder up there in the north!
In fact I was visiting that area last Monday, we went up to the steel mill in Raahe to close a deal regarding a new power transformer to keep them going another forty years, well it was a very windy and cold place I must say. ;)
Hans

E.L. Wisty said...

Grace, yes, that is something I envy!

E.L. Wisty said...

Gina, I think you are right, and I love your comparison to following a song. I'm not sure it's necessary to discover the "secret" of a poem to enjoy it to the full.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hans, windy and cold. Yup, 's right :)

Vallypee said...

Maria, your post here has moved me deeply. This is exactly how I fee about TS Eliot's poetry. I had to read it for my studies, but I found it so compelling and so meaningful to something deep within me that I managed to keep the love of his words - for the power they had for me - beyond all the academic studies I had to make. For me, the Quartets poems in particular are music, art and literature all in one. Thank you for this xx

BTW have you tried Gerard Manley Hopkins? You might just like his poetry too. I am not a poetry fan, but for these two (and one or two others) I make a happy exception.

Oh and yes, Happy Christmas!!!

E.L. Wisty said...

Val, something I had to post :-) I think a part of the reason - along with many other things - why the Four Quartets are having such an effect on me is that the poems are very much about yearning and searching - or exploring as Eliot says himself here - rather than giving answers. It's much more appealing to me, and I dare say more spiritual, than any kind of art that tells you 'this is how things are'.

Thank you for your recommendation on Gerard Manley Hopkins! I'll be sure to check his work out. I must say that I'm not a poetry fan either, in that it's not a type of literature I particularly search for or am familiar with, but I am happy to find exceptions!

Happy Christmas to you and Koos!! xoxo

bookworm said...

Hi Maria,

thanks for sharing this poetry. I only know "The Waste Land" written by TS Eliot. Think I must have a look about some more.

Hope you had a great Christmas Eve.

Love Stefan

grace said...

Maria, I think you write brilliantly already.