Sunday, December 05, 2010

(More) Winterly greetings

Snow's so pretty in its whiteness. I have to admit, though, that in my opinion winter isn't the most interesting season photographically. Pretty as it is, it gets a bit boring when it stays for months and months. Eventually you grow weary of taking pictures that feature snow in some form or fashion. I shall have to try and use my imagination to come up with new things.

So, I have sent the application for the research position in my old university. Fingers crossed on that. Otherwise, I've fairly satisfied with my activity this year. I have one article definite in an upcoming conference book that is supposed to be in print in early 2011. Otherwise I have sent two articles for review in different major journals of the field. I should be hearing on one of them in January, regarding the other I don't know. Of course, I'll be rather glad if one of them gets accepted. ;-) But it's not easy. It's worth a try though because IF you get published, one such article is worth several in small publications.

And now, another round of Pet Shop Boys I think. I don't know where I suddenly got the urge to listen to their 80's hits. Sure, I'm an 80s kid and Pet Shop Boys are one of those bands that made up the soundtrack of the decade. But I have never owned any of their records nor did I listen to them actively as a kid. Obviously I know the biggest hits. West End Girl, Suburbia, It's A Sin, and so on. Who doesn't? Maybe it's creeping nostalgy now that I'm in my 30s? :-) Nah, they're fantastic pop songs, there's something about them that the modern pop list hits lack. 


Let's take a ride, and run with the dogs tonight
In suburbia...

La la la la

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
The yellow posts look like candles, a bit. We have had no snowfall yet, but that is not to say that I would like some. :)

Good luck with the research post.

xx
AM

grace said...

I don't know, I agree, the snow in all its whiteness can get repetetive, but I think some really interesting photos can come of White Winters.
Fingers crossed. Looks like you have alot of good things on the horizon.

xx

Vallypee said...

As I said on FB, I love these yellow poles/posts:) Still, maybe you could look for indoor subjects as a contrast to all that whiteout?

Well done on the one article and good luck with the others and also the job application. I admire your tenacity in just keeping on keeping on at what you want to do.

As for the PSB's, good pop songs indeed, but they never really grabbed me...maybe I'm too much of a 70's teenager!

ginab said...

Sending you every wish on your articles, and my congratulations for a publication in 2011. WONDERFUL! Sending you also my best wishes on securing a research position at your university.

Your photographs are always wonderful that I believe you could easily become a photographer for book covers. If I ever manage a publication, I will want to hire you to review the text to then provide the photo for the front cover. I believe you should promote yourself to publishers.

Now the Pet Shop Boys remind me of my years in London. Takes me back indeed to a life I enjoyed. Thank you for restoring happier days.

Congratulations again!

Best,
Gina