Thursday, June 25, 2009

The bliss

I had a good morning swim after 8 am, water already 20 C. Then I sat on the beach and finished the novel I was reading, one by Jose Saramago, who is rapidly becoming my favourite novelist after I read 'Blindness'. I had to go to the library to get all his books I could find. I love the brilliant satire and humanism in his often allegorical stories, sometimes pessimistic but not devoid of optimism either. A quick trek back home, just a few minutes' walk. Hoovered, because I have some dust allergy. Then back to the beach with another Saramago novel. It's sunny and warm but there's a wind so it doesn't get hot. Plenty of people on the beach, mostly families, but not crowded. Feeling hungry, I just went to the beach kiosk and bought THE best hot dog, with mustard, ketchup and fried onion, the bun properly toasted too (I don't like the kind that has a sausage slapped inside a cold bun). Now to the novel. Yes, it's a pretty good summer day.

3 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

What an ideal way to start the day.

xx
AM

Jorge.Correia said...

It's great to know that people from all around the world read novels from the Portuguese- as me - José Saramago. Try to find other books from him like SEEING; ALL THE NAMES; THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JESUS CHRIST; or THE STONE RAFT - my wife favourite! this are allsuggestions comming from my wife, i had never read any Saramago's book. But there's some books names for you Summer reading.

Jorge

http://veomeumundo.blogspot.com

grace said...

sounds like a great day Maria!