Monday, June 01, 2009

The mosquito

I am visiting my parents up north, due to my mother's PhD defence on wednesday. There is one thing I have forgotten - again - about the Finnish summer in the countryside: mosquitoes. The most infuriating critters known to man. One of them has sneaked indoors somehow. I'm lying in the sofa, reading a book, and there it comes: the quiet but insistent 'nnnnnnnn', drawing closer. The prudent thing would be to wait until the mosquito lands and then... Wham! But I'm too impatient. I just swat the air around my head whenever the 'nnnnnnn' seems to draw close. That helps for a moment, until... the nnnnnnn closes in again. I can just bet the mosquito will find me during the night, in the adjacent room! It can smell blood I think. Maybe I should hunt it down before going to bed, after all.

8 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
the more I read about Finland, the more I am convinced it is just like Canada! Do you have blackfly season before mosquito season? If not, consider yourself at least halfway lucky!

Enjoy the countryside, and make sure to drown yourself in Off! (our major insect repellent brand, which I have dubbed F-Off!).

xx
AM

E.L. Wisty said...

Thankfully no blackfly season! But the mosquitoes are quite enough! Bless the inventor of F-Off though, it truly is the only salvation

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, we also have mosquito madness here. The water attracts them and we have swarms of them. Your piece reminds me of my own impatience and frustration with the pesky things. I like AM's F-Off! We don't have that brand but a multitude of others are currently filling the shop shelves....it's a real Dutch summer problem!

Lucy said...

Hi Maria,

Are blackflies anything like mayflies? Oh, those are AWFUL!

Mosquitoes -- yeah, I grew up with those (in New Orleans). I know just what you mean about the nnnnn... esp. horrible at night when trying to sleep.

And I still remember the awful, biting midges when visiting the Isle of Skye once, years ago. Even the border collies were yelping, trying to escape them.

bookworm said...

Hi Maria,

Mosquitoes are the horror for me. This year we haven't so many. I hope they don't will come. If there only one around this Mosquito will find my daughter Charlotte. I hate this nnnnn...

Wish you a weekend without such beasts.

Love
Stefan

Little Higg said...

"due to my mother's PhD defence on wednesday."

hmm? educated family. Has your little nephew finished his master's yet? Tell him to hurry up! he's making you all look bad!


peace,

E.L. Wisty said...

Ronny,

Which nephew? The 9-year-old or the 4-year old? :-)

E.L. Wisty said...

I see there are a lot of alike-minded people as regards the mosquito. No wonder, those damned pests!