Monday, June 29, 2009

And I think to myself: what a wonderful world

That was the song from the speakers after The Flaming Lips show ended yesterday.



(Only IPhone photos, sorry)

As I was proven yesterday, a Flaming Lips show is collective euphoria, the kind that keeps a goofy grin on your face and has you leave the concert with that same grin. Everyone familiar with the band knows that their music alone has the euphoric quality (finale song: 'Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?'). Singer Wayne Coyne starts the show by walking over the audience's heads in an inflatable, see-through balloon, confetti and balloons are shot in the air, there are teletubbies on stage (plus a sun and a butterfly). This stuff has nothing to do with music, one might say. But in this case they belong. And Wayne Coyne WANTS it to be a celebration, encouraging the audience throughout the show. It was a show where there weren't many rock police present. You know the type: guys who stand close to the stage, arms crossed on chest, making sure not to show that the music moves them.

7 comments:

carles Comella said...

Super photo.

Vallypee said...

I love the first photo Maria. Had to chuckle over your description of the rock police. They're the same everywhere aren't they? I wonder why they aren't 'allowed' to enjoy the music? Sounds as if it was a great concert. Love the balloons! xx

Anne-Marie said...

Your photos are great. We saw the Flaming Lips at Sarstock a few summers back- great fun indeed!

The rock police- hee!

xx
AM

grace said...

Womderful photos, goes with the song humming in my head!

bookworm said...

Hi Maria,

I love the "Flaming Lips" music. Such colerful pics.
GREAT!!!

Love
Stefan

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Comella, Thanks. I guess even a phone camera can work in rare circumstances.

Hi Vally, I guess in the rock police code of behaviour showing emotions is not considered cool! As for balloons, there's something about them isn't there? What was great was the audience kept them in the air all through the show.

Hi Anne-Marie, You can't NOT have fun in such a show, huh?

Hi Grace, That song is perfect for a wonderful day isn't it?

Hi Stefan, Glad to find a fellow fan of Flaming Lips' music!

Lucy said...

I really like the FLips too, Maria. I have two of their albums -- 'Robots' and 'Soft Bulletin'.

Glad you enjoyed the show! I've never seen them live, but I have seen concerts on TV and remember seeing the ball you speak of, and all the balloons and funny plush creatures, etc.

Nic pics!