Sunday, August 09, 2009

10+

On a scale of 1 to 10 my beach day was 10+. I went there around 10 am and just returned. Blazing sun but not TOO hot. I had +30 sunscreen which applied regularly so I didn't get burned. I drank enough water so I didn't get dehydrated and start feeling bad. The water was JUST perfect, +21 C. I did at least five longer swimming rounds. All in all it left a delightful, pleasurable, languid tiredness.
And I had a fantastic book which I finished on the beach: Death with Interruptions by Jose Saramago (originally published in 2005). One day in an unnamed country, people stop dying. Those who should die keep hanging on, not getting better or worse. This puts the country in quite a disorder, having unprecedented results to instances such as hospitals, insurance companies and undertakes. Families begin to carry their dying relatives to die beyond the border, where this still happens normally - and the maphia (with 'ph' to differentiate from the other organisation) takes it over and makes it a productive business. This goes on for seven months until a purple letter arrives at the desk of the chairman of the national television company; in the letter, Death announces that people will die again but this time those about to die will be notified a week in advance with a similar purple letter. So far so good, but one letter refuses to be delivered. However many times Death tries to send it, it always appears back on her desk. And so, she has to set about to investigate what exactly is going on.

2 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
happy to read that you had a great beach day. I popped from your screen right to my public library screen to reserve Saramago's book. It sounds quite interesting and I should have it soon!

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

The perfect day left a warm drowsy Maria I would guess! The book sounds intriguing. Think I should try and get hold of it too!