Saturday, August 22, 2009

Conference

I've been in Tampere from thursday to now, for a conference titled 'Passages from antiquity to middle ages IV', concentrating on the various social aspects of religion, with speakers from Finland, around Europe, the U.S. and New Zealand. My papers was today, I spoke on the subject of the spheres of interaction and cooperation between citizens and foreigners in the religious life of Hellenistic Athens. Went fine, but there were no listeners with knowledge of my field (nor such participants in the whole conference), so it wasn't particularly fruitful in the way of comments. But at least it gave me something new to put in applications. I was glad that my former teacher and PhD supervisor also gave a speech there, so I got a chance to chat with him; also there was an anthropologist who used to study at the uni of Oulu at the same with me and is now in Siena, Italy. Was lovely to see her too. The conference in entirety was very nice. There was a reception at the fancy city hall on thursday (free food, drinks, someone from the city hall gave a speech). Yesterday I took some time to walk around Tampere and take some pictures. The old cotton factory of Finlayson is especially interesting. This was founded by a British gentleman in 1820, and it was central in the industrial development of Finland. These factories are fascinating, because they were their own world: they had housing for workers, their own school, church etc.

Now I'm in the train back to Helsinki. Will have lots to do: a grant application by the end of August; the article on ephebes I mentioned earlier; I'm also going to work this paper into an article if I can come up with a fresh approach (as it is now, one guy had spoken about quite a few things in his book already; but I have some ideas that might lead somewhere). I'm planning to go to Athens for a couple of weeks in October. The current boss of the Finnish institute there was my PhD opponent so I'm going to try and see if he might have some valuable comments.

But first, I'm going to go to the woods of Viikki to look for mushrooms right today! Chantarelles and king boleti are my faves but I'm willing to go for other kinds too).

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Sounds like an enjoyable if not productive conference Maria. Great that you're going to Athens in October, and also that you have so much research ahead of you. I've just been back to your Dum dee dum post earlier in August, and read your response to my question there. I've answered it there too. I am impressed by the possibilities still available for research in your field, by the fact you write these articles in English and also by the subject itself. Just a bit envious too...

Anne-Marie said...

Nice that you were able to hook up with old colleagues and friends at this conference. I would think going to Athens would be so exciting given your field of expertise.

Enjoy the mushroom picking and the remaining days of summer.

xx
AM

Gina said...

You must have some very enlightened conversations at your conference. And thank you for sharing the Finlayson info, very interesting. Ah grant apps, my husband has been working on one right now... good luck to you - you'll get it right. Have a wonderful trip to Athens, be sure to put up lots of pics. Missed you over at my blog friend - hugs.