Sunday, August 30, 2009

The look

This is an absolutely super geeky thing to do, but all the same I wanted to show what my computer looks like now. I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I am running a Linux distro called Fedora, version 11 (Leonidas), plus KDE desktop environment (in Linux you can choose between several desktop environments that have their own appearance, set of software and controls). I am using the latest version of KDE, 4.3, which allows setting several virtual desktops and connecting different "activities" to each of them. This means I can set a different background for each desktop, but more importantly that I can put different types of program icons, folders etc. on different virtual desktops. So, I have four virtual desktops set up: 1) writing/work programs and folders; 2) audio and video stuff; 3) photo/graphics stuff; and 4) misc things. The pics I used are my own except the one on desktop 4.

Actually, it's not QUITE perfect: I would prefer slightly darker panel and desktop folders for the b&w virtual desktops. But setting a different "plasma" theme (so as to have, for instance, a different-looking panel) for each desktop is the one thing you CAN'T do with KDE, and on the other hand I prefer this transparent theme for desktops 3 and 4.

I suppose you could say: who cares what the computer looks like? But I do! As I work a lot on the laptop I want it to be both good to use and aesthetically pleasing!

DESKTOP 1
DESKTOP 2
DESKTOP 3

DESKTOP 4

2 comments:

grace said...

I like the look. It sounds like you are able to do many many things with your laptop. I wish I had the knowledge to do so. (I have to admit, I am not sure of all that you are describing here)
I agree, I want my computer to perform and look good at the same time. absolutely!

Vallypee said...

Great to be able to have different desktops for different categories Maria! Great wallpaper photos too! The arrangement of the icons is very similar to Apple design..maybe they all look like that, I don't know, but I have 'dock' along the bottom of the screen too.