Tuesday, August 04, 2009

All sorts of things

My younger nephew visited me yesterday. He thinks it would be great if there was a tree that grows ice cream cones. It would have to be in winter of course so the ice creams won't melt. I think it's a wonderful idea. Come spring, you could gather the ice cream crop to your freezer.

Today, the Antiquitas library opened again so I went there in the morning. I confessed right away the loss of the key card. Nothing to it: I didn't even have to pay anything, and I got a new card right away. I really like the library - it's quite small, with only one librarian who is a down-to-earth and friendly person. I had missed the library.

In the early evening I, my father (who had been visiting since saturday), my sister and her bf went out for dinner in a restaurant in the district where they live - a really traditional place called Kolme Kruunua, or Three Crowns. It was originally founded in 1928, then refounded as a restaurant proper in 1952, the year when the summer Olympic games were held in Helsinki. They have retained the original appearance, only the bar counter has been counted. I really loved the mood, it reminded me of the restaurant in Aki Kaurismäki film Kauas pilvet karkaavat (Drifting Clouds), the one where the lead female character works at the start of the movie. The restaurant in the film was called Dubrovnik. I know it doesn't say much about the mood to those who haven't seen the film, but it was as if time had stopped - in the 1950's. Fantastic food too. Honest, good food with good-sized portions.

On leaving the restaurant, and while waiting for the bus at the bus stop close by I thought: it's good to live in the city. The streets feel like home. Though on the other hand I am glad to have the greenery and the woods here in the suburb where I live.

4 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Your nephew has great ideas indeed.

I was raised in the city, but am forever grateful that our city is essentially one big collection of ravines and parks, so that we get the best of both worlds at our doorstep.

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

Now that's what I call inventive..an ice cream cone tree. We should listen to the children more!

I grew up in London but moved to the country when I was 14 and loved it so much, I am now more of a country soul than an urban one. I like Rotterdam very much. It's been my home for nigh on 10 years now, but I'm always relieved to escape to Zeeland at the weekends.

Although, as I understand it from my Dutch friend who lives in Helsinki, it's relatively quiet and peaceful there. She says coming back too Rotterdam always feels too busy, too noisy and too unsafe. You are lucky indeed to have such a variety of things to do and places to go and cultural wealth too!

Vallypee said...

to Rotterdam, no 'too'...even when I proof read I still miss some typos!

grace said...

You have the best of both worlds, close at hand! The restaurant sounds lovely. I love when they keep the original decor. Adds to the appeal. And your nephew - he has quite a great imagination. :)

Our library is a mobile bus, it travels around the county, and is here only certain dates of the month. I think it is wonderful that we are able to even have access to some type of Library.