Friday, October 16, 2009

In Athens

A couple of things at the National Museum which I went to as I happened to walk by it.

This 5th century dedicatory stele depicts a scene from the myths related to the Mysteries of Eleusis: on the left, the goddess Demeter gives an ear of corn to Triptolemos, so that he may give it to the humankind and thus teach it agriculture. On the right, Persephone, daughter of Demeter, watches.

An early 5th century bronze, variously identified as either Zeus or Poseidon. This is an example of the so called Severe Classical style, for which anatomical precision was typical.

My plane was at the Athens airport shortly before 2 pm. To my joy, I found that they have in the last six years built a metro line that takes you straight to the city. It's super modern and has air conditioning. In central Athens, I had to change line a couple of times, and by that time it was already rush hour so the metro was like a can of sardines. A very warm - several degrees above 20 C - and humid weather, so by the time I got to the hostel of the Finnish Institute I was soaked. A quick shower, and off I went to walk around a bit. On first glance, it doesn't seem like Athens has changed much in the last six years, apart from there being some new stores and cafes and such and some places that used to be there having gone out of business (particularly I was disappointed to find that a Greek fast food place not too far from the hostel where you could get great pork pitas has now been replaced by a Pizza Hut). Athens is still very very noisy and everybody drives a car everywhere. I don't think I've seen as many cars anywhere else. I'd better not walk along the major streets too much, otherwise I'm liable to get a lung disease from the exhaust fumes of the car.

2 comments:

Vallypee said...

My Dutch friend who currently lives in Helsinki claims that Rotterdam is too busy, too noisy and way too hectic after Helsinki.

Maybe this is what Athens is doing to you Maria! How wonderful to be there, though. You are in the heart of the history of the civilised world. I have never been to Athens, but Greece has been at the top of my wish list since I was in my teens.

I don't really know why I still haven't been there :-p

grace said...

Pizza Hut? oh, now that is a shame. not for pizza hut, but for the local Greek fast food.
Noisy, I don't do well with noisy. The pollution must be very strong?
I enjoyed these first photos. glad you arrived safely. I hope you are feeling a little better this day.