Monday, December 15, 2008

Londinium!

I am currently located in London.

Originally I didn't plan to go but then found a really good offer in a travel agency: 4 nights at a new 3 star hotel in Shoreditch, East London (LARGE room, even has a bath, breakfast included) plus flights only 540 euros in total. As I have a good friend in London, and an ambition to go to East London to photograph those Victorian brown-brick buildings, the offer was perfect. Off I went and booked a little Christmas holiday for myself. As an afterthought I decided to try and find a ticket for one of The Who's three London shows, and as luck would have it, found a floor ticket for the 3rd show (on wednesday).

I arrived yesterday. My friend got me from the airport and drove me to the hotel, then we went on a little walk in the neighbourhood, Brick Lane and so on. Today's programme contained lots of walking in East London and taking pictures: first, some of the area south of the hotel, towards Brick Lane. Then back north, to Regent's Canal which is close by; walked the half a mile along the canal to Victoria Park though decided not to go 'round it after all as it's a rather depressing weather for parks: cloudy, slightly foggy, chilly. So, I turned back and walked some way along the canal westwards, towards Islington, then made my way back to the Spitafields Market and Brick Lane, then to the hotel. I had a really good time, though my enjoyment - and photography - was slightly marred by the weather. For one thing, cloudy, nearly white sky is bad for photography. Well, can't do much about winter, eh?

I must say I'm liking the area a lot. As those who know about London history should know, East London used to be a rough area. I guess some areas there still are (others would know that better than I), but Shoreditch has become a very trendy district, with artists etc moving in. However, NOT trendy in the sense of being all surface and style. It's alive and vibrant with the bustle of multicultural life, and I much prefer that to the "fancy" parts of the city. And oh yes, there's something about those brown-brick buildings.

Tomorrow will of course include lots more walking and photographing, though I haven't decided the "programme" in detail yet.

Will put up photos eventually, when I have time. Now, I think I'll draw myself a hot bath. Good hotels are almost sinfully enjoyable!

11 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
Londonium is one of my favourite cities. Enjoy the Who show and the city!

xx
AM

Chris Capp said...

Maria,

I am very envious! I love London. Enjoy every minute of wandering in that amazing city. I hope the Who show is fantastic -- they were dynamite last month here in Los Angeles.

I don't know if you'll have the chance for any theater, but there are some wonderful productions in London right now. Derek Jacobi is doing Malvolio in Twelfth Night; the brilliant Michael Gambon is doing Harold Pinter's No Man's Land in a very well-received production (not everyone's cup of tea, but I think it's a fascinating play); and Ralph Fiennes is doing Oedipus of all things at the National Theatre. Not exactly holiday fare, but it's meant to be good!

Have a blast!

- Chris

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, now you're on my home turf, you know! I love walking along the Regent's canal too, and the East End, especially around the docklands area has become very vivid in the last few decades. Be a little watchful though, because you can never be too sure, and there are still an almost Dickensian number of pickpockets around, especially in the more bustling and vibrant areas. Am looking forward to your photos as to me the Victorian London brick house is wonderful. I grew up in one and find them so elegant and well proportioned, and as you say, there is something about that brown brick. I'm amazed you managed to find a Who ticket too at such short notice! What a treat of a week !

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

It's a fabulous city isn't it? So many different things in one city.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Chris,

Long time no see indeed! Hopefully things are ok with you. I definitely promise to return the visit on your blog when I get back home.

Unfortunately, I'll have to skip theater though seeing Ralph Fiennes in Oidipus probably would've been fantastic! I'm leaving on thursday so there simply isn't time. I have bad luck with theatre in London: the last time, in the summer, there was a production of King Lear, praised from heaven to earth, with Sir Ian McKellen, but I didn't realize to check for tickets early enough.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Val,

How wonderful that you just happen to be from East London! Quite a coincidence there. Which part of East London more precisely? And which street? Maybe I have walked it without knowing!

E.L. Wisty said...

Oh, hopefully the photos I have taken have turned out ok. The sky was a bit of a problem the other day. Still plenty of time for photography tomorrow during the day!

grace said...

mmm! I love London, such memories of my childhood there. Ah, and the victorion buildings, and the history etc. and The Who to top it off...not bad. Happy Wholidays xo

MargieCM said...

Looking forward very much to seing your photos of the area Maria. It's one I love too, and I'm sure you will more than do it justice.

By now you will have seen the Who (It's Thurs afternoon here now). Hope they were fabulous. I read briefly that they've been doing some less well-aired material, which would be wonderful to hear.

So, London, the Who, good accommodation? Not jealous at all, no ideedy.

bookworm said...

Hi Maria,

this is great, that you will see THE WHO in London. Hope all works very well for you. Charlotte and me saw the band Sunday. Stood very close to Pete's side Such a great gig.

Have a merry Christmas.

Love
Stefan

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, I didn't actually grow up there as I went to school in Chalk Farm and Camden a bit further up the Regent's canal, but I have walked most of its length either then or later with Koos. I love the whole area around the Thames, Grand Union Canal/Regent's canal connections (as I would being a water babay). My parents used to take us down to the East End and the River when I was small and..well, the whole of what I call 'smaller' London (as opposed to the greater area that was incorporated later) is very much home to me. It really is my home city, and I still love it.

I hope the Who really rocked your socks off!