Wednesday, December 24, 2008

More pictures

Well, I had the damnest luck: I woke up yesterday morning at 8 am with some kind of a virus: fever, throwing up, diarrhoea (I bet you all just needed to hear that, eh?). I stayed in bed the whole day, drinking this medicine which rehydrates the body and restores the minerals, fearing my Christmas would be ruined. But thankfully I'm feeling much better: the fever seems to be gone, I'm able to eat, though still feeling a bit weak.

Here's the next patch of pictures.

This is from one of the side streets of Brick Lane. The street address really shows the influence of immigrants, particularly from Bangladesh, in the area. I read somewhere that the percentage of Anglo-Saxon (hm, or Anglo-Norman? whatever) population here is about 39.

Written in blood. A very dramatic message in this painting, most likely expressing personal frustration or anger or sorrow. I wonder if the angel on the pedestal and the writing were done by the same person? If I remember correctly, this was on a street close to my hotel to the right: my hotel was Hackney Road 419-437, then take the street that goes towards north past the hotel on eastern side, skip east after one block, then again back north. This bit has industries and the gas works quite close and gets you to Regent's Canal after just some more steps.

Burned (?) parking meter (?) on Brick Lane

A shop, or possibly a tailor's?, near Brick Lane

Motorcycle repair and/or sale not too far from Brick Lane

Mosaic decoration in a building wall, again not too far from Brick Lane.

I think I'll post some pictures from Regent's Canal in the next patch.

Merry, warm Christmas to everyone!

6 comments:

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,

I'm glad to read you're on the mend. We've stumbled upon a great immune booster here, and you might want to try it to keep yourself healthy or to send your colds packing quickly: oil of oregano under the tongue morning and night. I've taken it all school terms and not *one* bout of cold or flu yet.

Your photos, as ever, are interesting in subject and composition. Brick Lane is one of those corners of London I've not spent much time in, save for the night out for Indian food. That needs to change on my next trip.

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

xx
AM

ginab said...

Hello Maria,

The angel looks like a Bansky. That'd be so cool!

Happy Holidays and a Merry New Year to you!

-ginab

grace said...

Fantastic photos as always Maria!

I hope you feel better,

Here's wishing you a merry xmas and a very happy new year.

Koos F said...

Great photos that go to show the more you look the more you see.

I've always had a weak spot for the area around Regent's Canal, and I could never resist exploring tunnels, like the Camden to Limehouse section, including the Islington tunnel.

Only recently my attention has shifted to Richmond, for obvious reasons. Yet even there,

on the Thames, can be found really interesting navigational features. Very much my taste.

Have a wonderful, merry Christmas, Maria!

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria
First of all, I hope you're feeling much better today dear, and that your Christmas has been a good one in spite of the wobbly tummy.

Loved the photos of the scooters against the wall! This is all sooooo London! The multiculturalism in the city is of course centuries, if not millenia, old, so it doesn't surprise me at all that the anglo saxon population of the area is so small. Try Brixton too! It's so much part of London's atmosphere.

Looking forward to your canal photos when you're ready.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Anne-Marie,

Aha! Thanks for the tip! I will try to find oil of oregano.

I didn't get around to eating any Indian on Brick Lane so far. Mainly just walked around and popped in the big Rough Trade records there.

Hi Gina,

Yep, would be ever so cool to see an original Banksy! Hope your Holidays have been good so far!

Hi Koos

I definitely will need to explore these regions further, including going further east (I didn't get to Limehouse so far). Perhaps in the spring or summer if I can find cheap accommodation for a longer time.

Hope your holidays have been good!

Hi Val,

Thankfully, I'm definitely on the mend. I can't say how relieved I am.

Brixton is one area I've not visited yet, but most definitely will have to. So many places in London to see!