Friday, November 26, 2010

Then - Now

A FEW DAYS AGO:


Can you imagine the heat and brightness of the summer sun?
Can you imagine the light sparkling on the waves?
Can you imagine the warm sand under the toes?
Can you imagine the happy screams of children as they run into the waves?
Can you imagine sitting on the beach after a swim, letting the sun dry you up - without it getting cold?
Can you imagine the ice creams and hot dogs bought at the beach kiosk?

Can you imagine it?


TODAY:

Everything is truly and properly frozen. -12 C, -17 C with wind chill. But actually I prefer it that way: winter is unavoidable, so better it be a proper winter like today than either freezing, snowless and dark or just barely above zero degrees, wet, snowless and dark. Those are the other two options for winter in Finland.

And when it got cold, the skies cleared. What a beautiful day. Cold and crisp but I didn't mind the cold at all. I was properly dressed!

7 comments:

Vallypee said...

Wow, Maria, Finland doesn't do things by halves, does it? I agree about having clear skies rather than cloudy and wet, but that looks way too cold for me. It's freezing here too, but not to that extent!

Vallypee said...

By the way, I missed your last post until now. It sounds as if the job prospect in Oulu is promising, and although I can imagine you are reluctant to leave Helsinki, it is a great opportunity and would be wonderful for you to have a regular income. I'll keep fingers, toes and thumbs crossed for you! Beautiful shots of the trees too.

grace said...

My oh My Maria, that looks very cold. I thought it was cold here this morning, @ 27 degrees, but I'd say not!

E.L. Wisty said...

Val, thank you for the wishes - and the gymnastic effort with the fingers, toes and thumbs :-)

Grace, yep 27 F is child's play!

Dale said...

Your options for Finland are the same as the options here on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains.
I prefer having snow, as it is the lesser of the evils - and not just because I love skiing.
It really is pretty and -17 C seems much warmer when snow is on the ground...
Dressing properly for the weather makes a world of difference, too!

Anne-Marie said...

I'll take colder and sunny over grey skies any day. As long as you're dressed properly, you can have a great day out.

Lovely photos the last 2 posts.

xx
AM

grace said...

lol!