Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Linux Geeks International membership


I surely must be well on my way to full membership of Linux Geeks International. A proper Linux geek tries out different distributions just for the fun of it - and I do. :-) I had a distro called OpenSUSE installed, and now I put in the latest version of Fedora (11), which is named Leonidas, on the side. Why? For fun and for a change, for wanting to see how it looks. Picture above - not as it's out of the box of course, I set up a different style and background picture. Another fabulous distro, easy to install and great support for my laptop specs. Super fast boot too. I only had to install a graphics driver but I expected that. Alright alright, I got some help from the Fedora forum as to getting the dual-boot to work. Wonderful places, the forums of the Linux distros. I've often received a response in under half an hour!

So, now I've tried quite a few of the popular Linux distros: Ubuntu (Gnome only, 8.10 and 9.04), Eeebuntu (a tweaked version of Ubuntu for the mini Eee PC:s, tried 2.0 and 3.0, base, standard and netbook remix versions), OpenSUSE 11.1 (Gnome and KDE), Fedora 10 and 11 (Gnome, KDE only slightly), Mandriva 2009.1, Sabayon 4, PC Linux OS, Puppy Linux. Think I'll stick to the ones I have installed now for a while: OpenSuse 11.1 KDE and Fedora 11 Gnome for the laptop, and Mandriva 2009.1 Gnome for the Eee PC. These are all distros with a graphical installer. There are several major ones that require text-based console installation and setting up from source code, but I don't think I'll go into them for quite a while. :-)

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Mara!!! OMG what on earth are you talking about??? I'm just a simple Mac user, so really honestly and truthfully have nooooo clue....but I do admire you ;-)

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, my blog updater tells me you did a post called sheep voices, but I can't find it! Hope you're doing okay, dear.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hello Vally!

Yeah, I did post that but decided to delete it as it wasn't worth posting on second thoughts. Doing quite fine here... I'll post something better soon!