Wednesday, July 15, 2009

M - Everywhere


Though I'm saying so myself, I think this is a pretty good image of the modern ways of the world, in the sense of the consumerism, throwaway culture; the littering of our common environment (would you like to be one of the city employees responsible for cleaning out the parks? I wouldn't!); and yes, McDonalds and fast food being everywhere. In central Helsinki alone there are at least four McDonalds restaurants (not to mention all the other fast food chains), and it's not a big area.

Can't say that much has happened in the recent days. I bought a new terabyte size external hard drive, so at least I won't be running out of photo storage space soon. Very cheap these things these days, it's by Western Digital and cost 90 euros. The paper for the late-August conference is just about done, just have to checks certain things and read it aloud to make sure it fits within the allowed 20 minutes (and cut it if necessary). Today I went swimming. The water has cooled down to 18 C, but it's been warm today, so it was wonderfully invigorating. I also went to see the Brüno film on the weekend and enjoyed it tremendously. Also I didn't find it particularly outrageous though perhaps because I live in the fairly liberal northern Europe. It's much like Borat as a film, and if you like Sacha Baron Cohen's work (as I do), you'll like Brüno. If you have never liked his stuff, you'd probably best skip the film. As for those not familiar with Brüno, go to Youtube and search for "Bruno Rove", to find his interview on Rove, the Austrian talk show, hosted by Rove McManus.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

I wonder why people just throw stuff down. I mean, they've always done it, I know that, and littering is nothing new in urban society, but I've never been able to get a grip on why . I've even seen people sitting on benches, surrounded by fast food containers and other litter, and just reading. I don't think I could bear to sit amidst a heap of garbage like that! So yes, Maria, your picture sums up what the modern generations throw away stuff consists of!

You've piqued my curiosity with the Brüno film. I've not heard of it, but do like Borat a lot. Must investigate!

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
we are in the middle of a citywide garbage strike here, so it is quite disgusting to see how much is piling up. Not a pretty image for the tourists, I can tell you.

I am looking forward to seeing Bruno, although reviews have been mixed here. One reviewer in particular wonders how long Sasha Baron Cohen can keep making these type of films before someone kills him. It was an interesting comment, to say the least.

I hope you're enjoying the summer, my dear.

xx
AM

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Vally,

I never understood the habit of throwing down garbage in the city environment either. The number and closeness of garbage cans don't seem to have any influence on it.

Hi Anne-Marie,

Well, to be honest I've been thinking kind of the same as that comment. Sacha Baron Cohen is either incredibly brave or extremely foolhardy.