Thursday, July 23, 2009

Urban romance, urban reality

The older trams have real urban romance: the klang of the wheels on the tracks, the screech of the brakes in the turns...

And then another kind of urban reality: two empty liquor bottles on the stone steps, a faint smell of vomit somewhere close by.

Then there's this too:

"A diploma to the Rikhard Street library. The library is the best. Without the library I could not live."

And this:


"Port Train Street", a street sign that tells of history: both the Port of Sörnäinen and the train track leading there are now gone.

...
I've had a FABULOUS photography trek in the eastern and northern districts of the old heart of the city. I've been lacking in inspiration of late - well, okay, part of it has been lazing at the beach! But if I just get around to going, I'm bound to find something interesting.

3 comments:

Vallypee said...

Lazing at the beach is also good Maria...maybe you needed that for the extra inspiration you've had with your photography. I like the diploma to the library! Very heartfelt and touching. I also like the signs and sights that reveal the history of the place too.

Anne-Marie said...

I am envious of your lazy beach days. Our July so far has been wretched in terms of weather- only three beach days for me so far this summer, which is not typical.

I too love the library diploma. Absolutely adorable.

xx
AM

Lucy said...

I'm gonna copy and save that library placard, Maria! I'll show my colleagues and translate for 'em!

Maybe put it up at work. :-)

If I ever start a professional library blog, I may be back to ask you permission to use your photo as a banner.
;-)

Nice captures there, of city life, present and past.