Sunday, May 09, 2010

Divine music, and other things

I experienced some quite divine music today: the Mother's Day concert of Cantores Minores, the Cathedral Choir of the city cathedral of Helsinki. They were founded in 1952 and are the best boy choir in Finland (minors as the name tells although the singers include some young men for male voices as well), with an extensive regular repertoire of the oratorios, passion plays and requiems by the great composers. They regularly tour all across Europe but also in the U.S. and Asia. My younger nephew is in the music play school group of the choir (5-6 year olds), which also performed at the concert. The little boys were of course totally adorable, but the divine music was offered by the Cantores Minores proper. Their program included Bach's Ave Maria and several other numbers. There is something quite extraordinary in a choir with a perfect harmony of voices. As for my nephew's choir's performance, of course I was beaming all through. How could I not? I'm his auntie. :-)


Here is a picture that I took one beautiful evening recently in the park nearby. Black and white seemed to work for this occasion. I like coniferous trees so much, fir trees and pine trees. They have strength and calm and they seem to fit in this northern climate. 

14 comments:

Vallypee said...

I'll bet you were a proud aunt today Maria. There's nothing more beautiful than boy's voices reaching to the heavens. How lovely!

I like your photo too. Very striking and the sky is gorgeous.
By the way, I've made an adjustment to the cap photo in my slideshow. I really like my photos of you - they are special to me for the memories, so hope you will feel happier with the change to this one, dear Maria ;-)

grace said...

Of course, Auntie's are supposed to be proud, bet you were beaming.
As I have said before, I LOVE black and white photos, it adds so much more to the scene, or subject.

Was happy to see Val post more of her pictures from her trip, ask and I shall receive! Wonderful!! oh, and You....that smile, the natural beauty....kuinka kaunista!

E.L. Wisty said...

Val, thank you, dear Val :)

Grace, aww thank you for those words, you are a good soul. And excellent command of finnish there :)

Vallypee said...

And while we're on the subject, Grace......Luonnon kauneus liian!

E.L. Wisty said...

Val, I think that's where Google Translate didn't quite perform - although the meaning is understandable. If I were to translate that back to English it says "Natural beauty too much!"

But actually Google Translate got a bit poetic there, because "luonnon kauneus liian" kind of sounds like the language used in poetry of the national romantic era :-)

E.L. Wisty said...

Which makes me think: I could become a poet - Google Translate poetry! There already is a form of poetry that uses web search engine results :-)

grace said...

well, I wanted to double check from Google here on my end,, "Of natural beauty too!" it says.
so maybe google uses different 'era's' in its translations? almost Spanish like, Or...I know different 'spanish' translations depending on what part of the world, so I am speaking from Mexico, closest to me, would be too mas linda..
anyway....fun!
Thanx Val.
Maria...you had no idea I knew a little Finnish? ;)

grace said...

google won't tell you beautiful means "Linda", but living in an area with lots of Mexicans...this is what I know from locals

E.L. Wisty said...

Grace: no idea at all :) Or maybe Google Translate did - and knew how to translate correctly this time? ;)

Anne-Marie said...

I love listening to great choir- there is something quite angelic about the sound. Of course, adorable little children work too. :)

Your photo is striking, with the contrast of dark and light from front to back.

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

Grace's Google says the same as mine, Maria! That's what I was trying to say..of natural beauty too. Still, I hope you understood that's what I meant...otherwise I shall just have to go and stand in the corner with my dunce's hat on and beat myself to pulp...lol! :)

E.L. Wisty said...

Anne-Marie: You are right, it is truly angelic voices and sounds.

Val, I shall forgive you and yes, it was well understandable. That's the good thing about Google Translate. You actually understand what it says most of the time. :)

Hans said...

B&W is really the thing to do to create dramatic pics out of an everyday situation.

I must go and get a film scanner soon because I have kilometers of film shot back in the good old days and there would for sure be something worth to revive digitally.

E.L. Wisty said...

Hans,

If you do get around to doing that, hopefully you'll put some of the pictures online. I love old b&w pictures.