Saturday, May 15, 2010

The spring most beautiful


For me, the most beautiful sight in the spring are the slender, young birch trees with their white bark and the new leaves of fresh, exuberant green. I spent most of the day yesterday in the park reading (barefoot of course, oh how my toes enjoyed it!) and in the evening took a stroll in the neighbourhood. It's astounding how it is suddenly green everywhere! I know it didn't happen overnight, but it feels like it did. And the woods are full of windflowers, the flower that welcomes the summer.


Today it's even warmer than yesterday. I'm hoping to take a sea journey to the city centre. I discovered/remembered that there's a boat line that goes from a pier nearby all the way to Hakaniemi in the city centre, along the coasts and past numerous islands. I think the journey takes about 40 minutes. Should be amazing. And certainly different to the usual metro ride, huh? When I say 'hoping', I mean if I looked at the schedule correctly. The boat only goes twice daily in May, in the morning and early evening. Well, if I miss the morning boat, I can go to the city and take the boat ride from Hakaniemi back home at 5 pm.

4 comments:

Hans said...

Aah..! Would like to have Windflovers here too! But they will not survive at this latitude.
I love this time of the year when everything turns green all of a sudden.

bookworm said...

Maria, have a great day. Stefan xx

Anne-Marie said...

Gorgeous, Maria. We had a mild winter, and then got spoiled by early warm weather in March and April. The last two weeks, while wet and damp and not so warm is not abnormal, were disappointing after the earlier months, and so it's just now creeping over 20C again. I hated having to cover up the toes after wearing sandals for most of April, but I think we're at liberation point again...

Enjoy your weekend.

xx
AM

Vallypee said...

I wish I was there to see it now, Maria. Spring is my favourite time of year! It is so fresh and vivid.