Friday, October 17, 2008

This is pretty cool


From the Hakaniemi underground station in Helsinki. Watch in large size and move the page up and down, it's almost hypnotizing. :-)

So, I joined this camera club called the Camera Club (innovative name huh?). It's the largest club of camera enthusiasts in Finland, has a monthly meeting, and various sub clubs (study club, technics night, natura, people photography etc) with their monthly meetings. Usually the meetings have a photographer talking about his or her work and about some aspect of photography. I couldn't make it to the monthly meeting which was this week, because there was a meeting of the Classical-Philological Society at the same time (with, as it turned out, an absolutely fantastic lecture on the Finnish research project in Pompeii which is on its 7th year now, excavating a house of a wealthy man named Marcus Lucretius, in the center of Pompeii. The lecture was held by Paavo Castrén, professor emeritur, leader - now retiring - of the project). But next tuesday is the meeting of the study club, and I'm going to try and get there. I'm a little worried that the club emphasizes technics too much, and I'm not really interested in learning about photography by listening to someone talk about it. What excites me is finding out things MYSELF, through trial and error; finding new themes and new ways to photograph the themes. Also, they seem to have lots of competitions, which I fear makes for a very competitive atmosphere. Well, hopefully my negative expectations prove out to be baseless and hope there'll be plenty of nice people - and not too many of that class of amateur photographers for whom photography is a 'who's got the biggest one' competition. ;-)

4 comments:

Little Higg said...

very nice!
i have been using one of your pictures as my desktop. The nighttime picture of what i believe is a industrial hopper at an airport. Anytime anyone see's it, they always comment on it. What is it? where is it? Who created it? I personally enjoy and marvel at your nighttime and industrial picture's.

The only time i ever thought of visiting Finland was for the high propensity of blonde's. <---sorry bout that...we all have to have at least one, world fetish.

your views through the camera has opened my eye's to a different part of Finland, better than any tourism board could ever accomplish.

peace,

E.L. Wisty said...

Thanks for those words, Ronny! I really appreciate them.

Dan L. said...

Dr. Maria Wisty:

Those are GREAT and very cool photos. I call them photos, but what is a photo nowadays, anyway? Photos, to me, are the kind you develop....but no matter. Digital stuff, photo stuff....whatever works. I just to say, about your posted photos....WOW! I love 'em!

Things here, at the "farm", have been very, very trying. There has been much loss to family, and struggling in other ways. But....We will survive!

Thanks for your very fine and fantastic post!

--Dan L.

Vallypee said...

Excellent again Maria. I'm a bit late, I know but the subway photo is as you say, hypnotic and a marvel of geometry ;-)

I totally agree with you about the technics thing with photography...and anything else for that matter. Hope you enjoy the camera club though and learn lots to help you further in your artistry.