Thursday, October 09, 2008

Two things

Two things happened today. Or rather yesterday as it's now a couple of hours past midnight.

1) The foundation that awarded me the research grant for this year, I applied for a second year in May. Today they awarded me the second year grant! It's the same sum, 18 000 euros, for the entirety of 2009.

2) I went and bought a digital SLR, my first. Canon Eos 450D. I was rather beside myself with excitement, though calmed down towards the evening. :-)

Obviously it will take some time to "become friends" with the camera. This one I think is fairly successful though. The idea is that the man has, through his sleep, blended in with his surroundings, become one with the tree. From contrast to unity/harmony kind of thing.


I will not stop using the PowerShot S5 IS though. For one thing, you obviously need various kinds of lenses for an SLR to do lots of stuff. For another, there are occasions when an SLR is difficult to use, for example the shutter sound causing disturbance.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

I can feel your excitement, Maria. Congratulations on the research grant. That's fantastic! And as for the camera, well, you deserve it! I'm sure you'll grow to love it as much as Koos loves his. For myself, I stick to my compacts, but then I never have been more than a happy snapper. This photo here is pure artistry and the colours are glorious. The man could almost be part of the tree itself.

Little Higg said...

She shoots...She scores!

Golf clap..patter...patter...patter!

Get back to work. :)


peace,

Vallypee said...

So how's the camera today ;-)

E.L. Wisty said...

My using it was prevented by it raining the whole day, argh!