Friday, November 28, 2008

The Villa


Sometimes - well, mostly, given the opportunity - I can't resist taking pictures like this. The sky is a bit bright if one wanted that "it was a dark and stormy night" feel, otherwise fairly successful. I reduced the brightness of the sky a bit already, but the trouble in cities is of course light pollution.

These villas aren't gloomy and dark at all. On the contrary, they are large, immensely beautiful wooden villas from the early part of the 20th century (I think), from the times when the wealthy still did that sort of thing - stayed in villas in the summer. This one is located in the part of Helsinki that is called Töölö, on a hill, overlooking a bay. Here is a satellite picture: LINK. It's the building immediately below the bridge that goes over the railroad tracks. The other buildings visible in the wooded area around the railroad tracks and along the bay are similar villas. I love walking this particular route, from the railway station (to the south in the satellite map), along the left side of the railroad tracks, along the bay, up on the hill and across the bridge. With sunny weather the view over the bay is magnificent, the way the sun glimmers on the water. Others have noticed it too, since a summer cafe operates there.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

And I can't blame you for wanting to take photos like this, as I rather like looking at them too ;-)

What is amazing is that even in with so much darkness, there is still detail and form. This is difficult to achieve with digital photography, but you seem to manage it Maria. I like!

I know these large and beautiful houses are a legacy of the days when there was a serious amount of inequality in society - not that there isn't in many places now - but even so, I am glad they still exist for their sheer aesthetic beauty and the fact that architechts really knew about line, proportion and form in those days. I sometimes think that these days such concepts are sacrificed in the name of functionality and economics.

Anne-Marie said...

I dream of spending a summer at a villa.

I love your black and white photography, Maria. T=You have a great eye.

xx
AM

E.L. Wisty said...

Hi Val,

You are right about the modern architectural values - or perhaps the lack of them? It often seems now that the architects do not realize that function and beauty CAN go together.

Hi Anne-Marie,

I wouldn't mind a villa for the summer either! Thanks for the words about the photos.

Hans said...

Bates' Motel, Finnish style?
:)