Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Last week I had a cold but now I'm in rather a good mood. I FINALLY got around to going to the camera club. I've been meaning to, but there have always been some other things at the same time with the meetings, or else I've come up with some excuses to postpone it. Anyway, earlier this evening I went to the monthly meeting of the camera club, and well worth it it was. The speaker was photographer Tuomas Uusheimo (http://www.thomastribe.net/index.html) who told about his work and showed pictures he had taken, in Shanghai and in Finland on a small punk festival. He is mostly into street photography, and I really liked his work: a strong sense of presence and life in them I found. I am hoping to become better at street photography, and something like Uusheimo's pictures are definitely something to look up to in that regard. As far as the people present, they were mostly men with the average age upwards of 50, judging by the grey-haired heads. Well, perhaps the study club which is next week or some of the other activities have more participation by younger members. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against people of mature age, it's just that I hope to find new friends closer to my age as well. :-)

Another thing is that I have started a campaign of one person (myself) to eat plenty of vitamines. My parents like to carry lots of berries to me whenever they visit, because they grow strawberries and also have some raspberry bushes, plus they are maniac wild berry pickers (blueberry, lingonberry, the latter I don't like). I haven't been very good at eating them but got to it very well recently. Strawberries and raspberries, melted from the fridge, with plain youghurt, add a bit of sugar, is very tasty. So is porridge with blueberries added frozen. At the moment I'm a fan of porridge made of four types of grain.

Hm... to go or not to go? The new research lecturer of the Finnish Institute in Rome is giving a talk on sunday in Tampere, on the topic of the Jewish War, the Flavian emperors and the urban image of Rome in the late 1st century A.D. I even wrote an undergraduate level paper on the Jewish War at the university some - good heavens! - 10 or 11 years ago. It's two hours in each direction on the train, but if I went early I *would* have time to do some photography as well. I quite like Tampere. Depends on the weather I guess.

Another to go or not to go? I've been thinking I'd quite like visiting Holland as I've never been there (apart from Schiphol airport). The thought feels more and more attractive. In the spring maybe? Amsterdam and Rotterdam, perhaps have a chance to meet up with the lovely Val and Koos as well?

To end, here are two little films I shot just yesterday. I have to admit that the audio of both is from www.freesound.org (thanks to nicStage). There were noisy cars driving past on the street close by so I couldn't use the original sound. Hm... maybe these are actually better as silent versions? Well, the sound can be turned off.

ICE AND WATER


1 comment:

Lucy said...

I really love these videos, Maria. Especially the fall color one.

And the sound effects are great and very effective!

- Lucy.