Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Thought for the day

"Music is a universal personal experience."

I like that one, came up with it whilst walking today. All cultures, ever since the human being discovered that banging bones or sticks at surfaces brings up rhythms, have had music. Different cultures have different traditions of music which influence the ways their people experience and understand music. Within the cultures, a large number of things affect the ways music is experienced (background, education - music education vs. lack of it, experiences of music and in life in general etc.). And finally, because music is in the end about direct emotional effect, each individual's musical experience is intensely personal.

4 comments:

Vallypee said...

Hi Maria, what a lovely 'meaty' post! First of all, I really enjoyed your film clips, and like them with the music on. Then, it would marvellous to see you here in NL. Amsterdam in the spring is gorgeous and Rotterdam would I'm sure appeal to your camera lens eyes ;-) So different but both great cities.

Personally i think you are already very good at street photography, but am glad you enjoyed the camera club meeting. I wonder why there are only really older folks there..maybe something to do with available time. As for your parents' berries, that must be a great way of packing in those vitamins ;-)

Lastly, I agree with you 100% about music and its effect and experience..deeply personal but also wholly universal!

Vallypee said...

I meant with the sound on, not the music...had your music post on the brain...nice piece of watery sound it is ;)

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Maria,
I like that- music really universal, and yet, what we like and what moves us is intensely personal. I think music is also the universal language.

I have to add that I loved your little clips too- especially the red water reflection. You have a great eye and I'm glad you're enjoying your hobby.

We're close to a house deal here, not not quite there. Fingers crossed.

xx
AM

grace said...

I need music every day. that is one thing I would feel left without at the end of it